Sunday, January 30, 2011

Finding France

Bonjour!
The last few days have been splendid.
Last you heard from me I was stil in England. And now I have made my way to France-  our journey started with an afternoon train to Lille, a small town north of paris- where a fellow couch surfer lived. 
We almost missed our stop, the train ride was so fast! And there was a time change as well (+1) We were just chillin on the train when we come to a stop that says Lille Europe- we jumped off and found our way to the metro station. I'm not gonna lie- the first few minutes were a bit intimidating- coming from English England to French France. But we found our way:)
Tried an extremely sweet cherry beer that night so I slept veeery well. Then we headed into Paris the next day- walked up to the Sacre-Coeur and took a few walks around and about. The next day we hit up the Operahouse- oh my! It was so gorgeous! Beautiful chandelleirs, painted ceilings, the grand auditorium, Phantom of the Opera.
I have A new facination with operas and classical music- when I get home im goin to do my share of studying and enjoying/listening to it more- now that is what you call music. 
Anyways, our next adventure included a trip down to Nantes, France- which included a tour of the town, a couch surfing crepe party, Japanese food, local wine, and hanging with our Awesome host and her friends! It was a weekend to remember especially the gigantic crepe party- abou 85 couch surfers show up and we made galletes- which are salty crepes and crepes which are the sweet ones we all know and love.
Common galletes have egg, cheese, and ham in them and they are tasty- also go great with two types of ciders- one sec and one sweeter (they call it deaux).

The next day started out with a 730am train ride back to Paris, filled up with a visit to the Arc de Triomphe, a walk down Champs-Elysees, and a visit to the Eiffel tower.
I am so exhausted though- hoping my bedtime to be 10pm.

So far, my favorite place in France has been the Opera house-but that could change due to the fact that we are going to the Louvre tomorrow and a couple parks! Im going to be honest with you- France is not a huge deal for me- I would much rather see other places than Paris, but nontheless it is full of art and culture which i am a huge fan of. And more than seeing places I have enjoyed meeting people and trying different foods/drinks. And I have yet to eat a cupcake in France! They have amazing pastries, but still haven't found my cupcake- maybe tomorrow...
Crepes are bomb, kabobs are bomb, cafe au laits, and macroons also rock. I could go on forever.  
So far, French people are nice and welcoming, not too anal about tourists maybe because we are visiting off-season?
I've been thinking and I dont think I could ever not travel, it seems like every two years or so I get this itch to travel and it needs to be scratched and it seems like everytime I do it, it's before something big happens in my life or something significant- I dunno I can't explain it really....
Anyways, sorry for lack of pictures, The computer at the hostel doesn't have a USB port and I can't do it on an iPod. Oh and French keyboards are so lame! 
Well goodbye for now, keep praying for us- so far everywhere we go has had amazing weather- no rain just freezing cold days. 
Amore,
Luiza  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment